Gløgg is the Scandinavian version of mulled wine or glühwein.It’s a warm, spicy and fruity drink featuring wine or, for the non-alcoholic version, juice or saft “cordial”. Directions. This time last year, I was introduced to the irrepressible magic that is Germany at Christmastime.I reveled in the cheesy light decorations, enjoyed far too many Nutella crepes, and toasted the Christmas market gods when I tasted hot, mulled, glorious glühwein for the first time. First, and most importantly, the Swedes add a whole lot more booze to the mix than most nations who partake in the hot wine tradition. Mulled wine is the English term for the drink that resembles glögg, Sweden’s festive wine beverage, but there are a few difference between the two that should be noted. Make the glögg: In a medium saucepan, combine the cinnamon, ginger, orange zest, cloves, raisins, light brown sugar, cardamom, vanilla bean and pod, and 1 cup of the red wine. Blame it on the gnomes or the glögg-thirsty visitors, this year’s batch of mulled wine has already run out, so make sure to mark your calendars for next year’s glögg party at West Wines (it’s an “open-house event” but reservations for seated glögg-tastings can be made in advance on the winery’s website).

Needless to say, I was excited to try glühwein’s Scandinavian sister, gløgg, this year. 1. While German mulled wine typically just heads for the spices and citrus flavor, Sweedish Glögg is a combination of red wine, port, and brandy steeped with aromatic spices. Served warm, it is incredibly popular during the Christmas season, but makes for a great, … With the darker and colder days making their presence even more known in the north, it’s no wonder this drink has a permanent place here during the holiday season.